Sticky Cinnamon Bun Muffins

Sometimes making cinnamon buns can be quite the chore. Sure the pay off is worth it but some days you want the bun, not the work that goes with. I get it, trust me, I do. Which brings me to today's recipe. Yesterday I was reading the food section in our local newspaper and a recipe jumped out at me. I read through the ingredients and instructions and thought, yup, this is a keeper. I had intended to wait a few days to make these muffins but couldn't resist testing out the recipe as soon as possible. I am very happy I did.

These cinnamon buns have all the incredible flavor of the traditional favorite but with 99% less labor ! Yes, there is yeast in there but it is quick-rising and no kneading required - let alone rolling into a spiral log, etc. Of course, there is cinnamon, sugar and a sweet icing. What more could you ask for?

The only 2 ingredients I adjusted from the original recipe is the amount of cinnamon used and the type of oil. I thought 3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon was on the cheap side so I cranked it up to a heaping teaspoon instead. I also used grapeseed oil. The recipe also recommended you wait til the muffins are completely cool before adding the icing drizzle. I think it takes more authentic when the icing gets a chance to melt in and spread out a bit on still warm muffins so that is what I did. Once the muffins cooled they had an incredible sticky glaze on top that the kids (and the adults!) really enjoyed.

Try making a batch of these on the weekend. Your kids will be overjoyed and you will love the fact that you can sit back, relax, and enjoy a warm, fresh out- of- the -oven cinnamon bun without all the time it usually takes to makes these yummy baked treats.

Ready? Me too!

RECIPE:
*adapted source recipe - Cinnamon Bun Muffins, The Ottawa Citizen, November 10, 2011 Edition

WHAT YOU NEED

12 cup muffin tin lined with parchment paper liners and sprayed with cooking spray OR generously butter muffin tin and omit liners

FOR MUFFINS

3 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons rapid-rise yeast
1 1/3 cups milk (2% is fine), at room temperature
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

FOR TOPPING

2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
2/3 cup light or dark brown sugar
1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt

FOR ICING

1 cup icing sugar
1 - 2 tablespoons milk

MAKE IT

IN BOWL OF STAND MIXER, fitted with paddle attachment, gently stir together flour, sugar, salt and yeast
ADD IN remaining muffin ingredients and beat on MED speed for about 1 minute
FILL muffin tins with batter. I used my ice cream scoop and filled each scoop about 3/4 full with batter
LET REST, uncovered, for 15 minutes

IN MEDIUM BOWL, with your fingers mix together all topping ingredients until combined and somewhat crumbly
DIVIDE topping evenly over tops of muffins
WITH a knife, gently press some of the topping down into the muffins and swirl slightly. This is trick as the batter is thick and sticky but the goal here is to to not have all the topping sitting on top once baked but inside the muffin a bit as well

PLACE MUFFINS in a cold oven and then set temperature to 375F
BAKE 20 minutes until slightly golden and tops spring back when lightly pressed
LET REST in pan 5 minutes them remove muffins to cooling rack. Allow to cool to a stage where they are still slightly warm

IN SMALL BOWL, whisk together icing ingredients and drizzle over muffins

DIG IN !



Also linked here:







Button

Ladybird Ln







Photobucket
Tidy Mom

5 comments:

  1. Who would not want an easier method to get that delicious flavor of a cinnamon bun! Count me in. They do look delicious and your description of the glaze melting into the muffin has me hooked. Tempting pictures too-great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! What a cool way to take care of that cinnamon bun craving without the normal time commitment. Buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used this recipe and made these this morning. Mine didn't look as pretty as yours but we still enjoyed them. It was my first time attempting cinnamon rolls so I was pleased. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummyyyyyy
    I love this recipe, and I love the way these muffins look!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Foodies, Linda's Sticky Muffin recipe has been selected by Knapkins in our Recipe Guessing Game. Invite fans to play: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/717?source=blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop