Apple Cider Baked Donuts

I am not purposefully following an apple theme but given the season, tis the flavor to enjoy ! These donuts are baked , not deep fried. They are flavored with cinnamon, apple butter and apple cider. I didn't bother glazing these but instead sprinkled them with some sugar before baking. If you want to glaze them then I recommend blending together some powdered sugar and a bit of apple cider until you get a nice smooth consistency. Dip the donuts in the glaze and let them sit on a cooling rack as the glaze sets (5 minutes is usually all it takes).

I used cinnamon as the spice but next time I would consider apple pie spice. I just didn't have any handy at the time.

This is the first time I have ever cooked with apple butter. I have seen it all bottled up in gorgeous little jars for years but never ventured to purchase one. I honestly didn't know what it really was and it never seemed that appealing to me. Oh , what I have missed ! Dark, fruity, rich and smooth. Can you imagine that spread on a hot scone or a french toast? OMG, I can only imagine the joy I would feel !!!

So if you want to save yourself messing with hot oil but have a donut craving then try this recipe. These are filled with fall flavors and totally dunkable !

These are incredible served warm and fresh from the oven


RECIPE:
* adapted source recipe: Apple Cider Doughnuts, Dianna's Desserts

WHAT YOU NEED

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (or 1 tsp of Saigon cinnamon as it is a much stronger flavor)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup apple butter
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup apple cider
1/3 cup full-fat sour cream

Sugar for sprinkling on donuts prior to baking

WHAT YOU NEED

SPRAY a mini or regular sized donut pan with co0king spray
PREHEAT oven to 400F

IN MEDIUM BOWL, whisk together first 5 ingredients
IN LARGE BOWL, whisk together remaining ingredients
FOLD dry ingredients into wet ingredients blending just until combined
FILL piping bag, fitted with large round open tip, with batter
PIPE into donut pan cavities
SPRINKLE tops with sugar
BAKE 10 minutes
RUN a knife around edges of donuts and flip out onto a cooling rack

You should have enough batter to make at least 12 regular sized donuts

ENJOY !



Also seen here:




Cast Party Wednesday

11 comments:

  1. Hi Linda- I'm bookmarking these. I have a new doughnut pan and a craving for apple doughnuts. I definitely want to try these out next weekend. I had some apple cider doughnuts at Dunkin Donuts a couple of weeks ago and they were amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible donut recipe, these sound delicious! Love your photos as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bookmarking this too! I'm craving for a few of these right now with a nice hot cup of coffee! What a lovely job you did on these baked donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need a doughnut pan STAT so that I can make these!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely original, AND yummy!!!
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delish! I'm actually on my way to (finally) buy a doughnut pan today, so I can't wait to try all these fabulous recipes I've been seeing, these included. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your recipe! Would you come over to CAST PARTY WEDNESDAY tomorrow and share it with us?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really really really like apple cider donuts, but I've never made them at home. Now I'm off to put a donut pan on my wish list...

    P.S. Saw your link at Cast Party Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only time of the year I crave donuts is in the fall; all the apple, cinnamon, pumpkin inspired treats just do it for me! These look delish and I may have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so amazing - what a great way to bring in the Fall Season. I have to go get a donut pan just to make these :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummy!!! I've pinned these donuts:o) I'm trying out my new donut pan this weekend. I had no idea that baked donuts were so easy. With normal donuts you have all the rising time... takes SO long.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop