Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Loaf

I picked up a huge basket of wild blueberries this past week and have eaten most of them simply tossed with some vanilla sugar and topped with pouring cream. Beautiful ! But I was also in the mood for a baked sweetness too. In addition, I wanted to make a few treats to give to friends. A quick bread or sweet loaf of some kind was in order.

Recently Sweet Pea's Kitchen published a fantastic recipe (and gorgeous photos) for a Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf and I thought it would be a perfect way to highlight this blueberry bounty I had on my hands.

This loaf is amazingly moist, sweet and wonderful to eat any time of day. I really love a slice accompanied with a black tea. A perfect combo.

The best way to ensure super moistness in any loaf is to add a simple sugar syrup to it after it is baked. I use long bamboo skewers to poke several holes throughout the loaf making sure the holes reach all the way to the bottom. Then I brush the syrup over the warm loaf in stages ensuring each brushing is totally absorbed before adding another layer of syrup. Lastly, this recipe calls for a lovely lemon glaze that does harden a bit as it cools resulting in a phenomenal crust.


Feel free to also switch things up a bit fruit-wise. In one loaf I added 1/2 the quantity of blueberries and then threw in fresh raspberries too. Fantastic.

For the yogurt, I used plain greek yogurt. I love the thick consistency of greek yogurt and it is superior in baked goods. Full fat sour cream would also be great too.

Lastly, this recipe can make one large loaf. But I managed to get 2 8"x4" loaves from one recipe. They rose beautifully and were the perfect size for gift-giving. If you want to go with 2 smaller loaves just reduce bake time to 50 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean when done.

So let's get baking!

Rather than repost Sweet Pea's Kitchen's recipe I will simply redirect you to the site.

RECIPE: Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf



ENJOY !

23 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous photos. I'm definitely pinning this one!

    :)
    ButterYum
    PS - thanks for the link to a new blog. I'm headed over there now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I am so glad that you enjoyed it! This is hands down my absolute favorite bread....wish I had a piece right now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks literally perfect! I could just dive in to that perfectly-baked loaf!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a fantastic recipe to have on hand for summer and my goodness your loaves look PERFECT! So moist lookin' but with a little crust that, to me, is just gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks fabulous! I am always looking for blueberry recipes, so happy I found you on Pinterest!

    Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy. Can't wait to make one of this. I'm sure this tastses sooo good.

    Annabella MErlin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made this several times already and everybody LOVES it!! This loaf cake is the best recipe I have for this type of dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing! Love all things lemon. I'll have to try it soon on my blog - nanaclareskitchen.com
    Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering how many small individual loafs this recipe would make. I would love to make these to sell at my bake sell. thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deeeeee-lish!! Made two loaves for Super Bowl weekend. Both were gone by Monday night. Slightly tangy but very good! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJune 02, 2012

    Thank for this recipe. Just finished picking black berries this morning. Cannot wait to bake a couple....might even share one of the loaves with my neighbors!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love blueberries and lemon anything. I planted blueberries last year they are not quite ripe as yet but as soon as they are I will definately make this just don't think I will be able to share...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shame on me for missing this in Sweet Pea's Kitchen. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what can i substitute for the eggs? Husband is allergic to eggs but he loves blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  15. an egg substitute should work well - I prefer Ener-G

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made 12 muffins from this recipe at the weekend, best I've ever made or tried anywhere!! Kept really well in a sealed container for a couple of days and the last one has just been eaten. Will be making more this week to bring to work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unfortunately the link on the post no longer works but I still found it!
    http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2011/05/lemon-blueberry-yogurt-loaf/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth, for making me aware of the broken link. It has now been fixed :)

      Delete
  18. do you think non fat greek yogurt would work instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Yes I often use non-fat yogurt in my baking! but I highly recommend adding a bit of milk to it to thin it out a tad as greek yogurt can be very, very thick compared to regular yogurt. do that and it should work fine :)

      Delete
  19. AnonymousMay 22, 2013

    I made this today in an 8x8 square pan. I used 1 cup blueberries and 1 cup diced strawberries. I also omitted the simple syrup as I felt it would be sweet enough with the lemon glaze on it. It's been a hit with the family!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop