Chocolate Glazed Baked Donuts

It is officially a toss-up. I am hooked on cupcakes AND donuts! I cannot decide which I like more. And then the thought struck me. Why choose? Cupcakes one day, donuts the next. See , there is heaven on earth after all!

Today I wanted to bake donuts versus deep-fry them but my cookbooks lacked a chocolate baked donut recipe. Deciding to be resourceful, I headed over to Lara Ferroni's website and lo and behold, found a perfect recipe. And voila, an amazing chocolate baked donut was born. I topped them with a simple chocolate glaze and a few sprinkles for fun.

Lara is the author of my most recent purchase, Doughnuts, Simple and Delicious Recipes to Make at Home. This recipe is exactly that: simple and delicious!


I did adjust Lara's recipe somewhat by substituting sour cream for yogurt and adding the scrapings of one vanilla been in lieu of vanilla extract. Plus the sprinkles were my idea :)

So let's get started, shall we? You will have these baked, eaten and devoured in under 20 minutes. How great is that ?!

RECIPE:

WHAT YOU NEED

DONUTS


1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
75 grams sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon fine grain salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup full fat sour cream
1 teaspoon scrapings of one vanilla bean
1 large egg at room temperature

GLAZE

3/4 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2-3 tablespoons milk

MAKE IT


SPRAY donut pan with baking spray
PREHEAT oven to 350F
IN LARGE BOWL, sift together first 4 ingredients
WHISK in sugar, salt and nutmeg
ADD butter and mix into flour mixture with fingers until crumbly (as if making a shortcrust)
IN MEDIUM BOWL, WHISK together remaining donut ingredients
ADD WET ingredients to dry, folding in with rubber spatula just until combined
PIPE batter with round open piping tip into donut cavities
BAKE 8 minutes
LET DONUTS cool slightly in pan 5 minutes then remove donuts and transfer to cooling rack placed over waxed paper

IN MEDIUM BOWL, sift in icing sugar and cocoa
WHISK together and add milk until desired glaze consistency is reached

DIP tops of donuts into glaze and return to rack, right side up, to allow glaze to set
SPRINKLE with candy confetti

ENJOY !






Also seen here:


Button


5 comments:

  1. These are so pretty! I'm really getting into the idea of making homemade doughnuts. I've been looking at doughnut pans and makers on Amazon. I'm ready to give it a try! Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those looks amazing! I have been wanting a donut pan for a while. Thanks for showingus your newest cookbook, I am going to keep my eye out for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An entire book about donuts - Yum! Do these baked donuts just taste like a cake donut?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog!! I am definitely going to be your new follower :) I would love it if you followed me to @ for-the-luv-of.blogspot.com that would be great :) I am just starting out, but I am excited to share new recipes, crafts, and makeup.. And Giving away giveaways on mineral make-up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jenn - they have similar taste to cake donuts but are much softer with a tender crust. A cake donut, when fried, tends to have an almost crunchy exterior with a soft cake-like interior. In comparison, these are softer inside and out :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop