Cherry Almond Custard Tart

Sauntering through the produce section at the local grocery store I spotted a bin filled with giant deep red sweet cherries. I couldn't resist and headed home with my purchase in tow but with no idea how I was going to use them in my next baking creation. I didn't want to go down the road of the standard cherry pie and a cherry crisp, though intriguing, just wasn't cutting it either. I love almonds and cherries together - their tastes are so complimentary of each other and make a wonderful dessert when combined. I also love the idea of a custard but wasn't sure clafoutis was exactly what I was looking for at the time.

Finally, I found the perfect recipe. A cherry almond custard tart! The crust has the consistency and taste of lovely shortbread. The filling: sweet cherries sitting in a rich and creamy dense custard. The common theme in all parts of this tart is almond flour. You use it in the crust, custard and sprinkled on top of those gorgeous cherries right before baking.

Serve up a slice with a dollop of whipped cream and you may actually think you have died and gone to heaven!

LET'S GET STARTED


My preferred extracts: Organic and top quality



1 lb pitted and ready for use !



Prepared tart ready for the oven



RECIPE:
adapted from Patricia Wells At Home in Provence

WHAT YOU NEED


CRUST

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled
1/2 cup fine granulated sugar
pinch of salt
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons blanched almond flour
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour

FILLING

5 tablespoons heavy cream (35%)
1 large egg lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup fine granulated sugar
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
2 tablespoons blanched almond flour for filling
2 tablespoons blanched almond flour to sprinkle on crust


TOPPING

1 lb pitted sweet cherries
2 tablespoons blanched almond flour

MAKE IT


PREHEAT oven to 350F
GREASE SIDES AND BOTTOM of a 9" tart pan with removable bottom
IN MEDIUM BOWL, whisk together all crust ingredients except flour
SLOWLY add flour stirring until combined with wooden spoon or rubber spatula
PRESS into tart pan ensuring tart crust reaches all areas of the insides of pan
BAKE 10 minutes
SET ON BAKING RACK and leave oven heated at 350F

IN LARGE BOWL, whisk together all custard ingredients
SPRINKLE 2 tablespoons of almond flour on par-baked crust
POUR custard filling over crust
TOP with cherries
SPRINKLE 2 tablespoons almond flour over cherries

BAKE 45 MINUTES until golden and custard is firm when touched.

PLACE tart pan on cooling rack and let rest still ready to serve.

TO REMOVE, simply push removable bottom upwards so tart pulls away from sides of pan.

ENJOY!


Also seen here:

Button

5 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious and elegant! I love it! I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/06/sweet-indulgences-sunday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. thx for the invite, Kim. I definitely headed over and shared the recipe !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, that just looks divine! I love the combination of cherries and almonds anyday - plus anything French is a huge pleasure for me to read about. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good! I recently shared a recipe for sweet cherry preserves on my site, so maybe you can use your leftover cherries to make that, I can use my leftover cherries to make your tart! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! Is it possible to use frozen cherries?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop