Ham and Cheese Crustless Quiche

I don't usually post savory recipes like this on Lemon Drop but believe me this is an exception worth noting.

Why quiche? Because I love it and rarely make it. Why do I rarely make it? Because it usually involves meddling with pie crust and I have to be in a really super duper mood to open that Pandora's box of "flaky fun".

But last week I wanted a delicious slice of quiche, I mean REALLY WANTED IT, so I decided to research crustless varieties. Lo and behold, I found one. I ended up making the Crustless Spinach, Onion and Feta Quiche from Baking Bites blog and though I thought it was wonderful, I wanted something more.

I love ham and cheese quiche so decided to try it out in this recipe. I also love peppers and a red one was begging me to use it up ASAP.

How does a crustless quiche work? The added flour to the egg mixture gives it the stability it needs.

4 simple words sum it all up: I am in love.


LET'S GET STARTED !

A Ham and Cheese Quiche
My take on a western omelet inspired egg dish

RECIPE:

WHAT YOU NEED

1 medium onion, diced
1 cup diced ham
1/2 diced red pepper
1 tsp Lawry Seasoning Salt
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups milk (low fat is fine)
3/4 cup shredded old cheddar

MAKE IT

PREHEAT oven to 400F.
LIGHTLY GREASE a 10-inch quiche/tart pan (or a pie plate)
IN MEDIUM FRYING PAN, cook diced onion and red pepper with a bit of vegetable oil (or cooking spray) over medium-high heat until translucent and tender. Add Seasoning Salt and ham. Stir to combine. Set aside to cool for a few minutes
IN LARGE MIXING BOWL, whisk together eggs, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk in milk and 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Then stir in onion, pepper and ham mixture.
POUR quiche base into prepared pan. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
BAKE for 33-35 minutes, or until center is set and the outside edge is golden brown.
LET SET for 5 minutes, then slice and serve. I prefer to let mine rest about 20 minutes before digging in - I like the firmer consistency of a cooled quiche.


4 comments:

  1. I could be in love too! posts like this make it really difficult to keep eggs and dairy out of my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quiche looks amazing! I'm planning to prepare a couple of quiches for Mother's Day, and now you have me questioning if I even need the crust... definitely keeping this recipe handy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing , it makes me hungry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this the other day and it was a HUGE hit with us..love the addition of the flour and baking powder.Thank you so much for a wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop